Thursday, March 3, 2011

One heart beat at a time

Today I completed my 6 mile tempo run that was scheduled for this past Monday. Due to a few lame excuses I didn't get it in on Monday and made the decision to cancel my speed work for the week and complete my tempo run instead. Weather conditions forced me to the treadmill again, so I was able to do the same workout as last week, same distance and speed, etc. The only difference was my heart rate, my average and max were both one beat lower than last week. I would say that is progress! Any improvements in my heart rate, no matter how small, are accomplishments and proof that my body is getting even more efficient.

It's amazing to think that one year ago I didn't even know what a tempo run was and my max speed for anything over 3 miles was about an 11 min mile. This tempo run was done at about an 8:12, for 6 miles! Truly amazing. According to my coach I'm well on my way to a sub 1:50 half marathon in April and a sub 4 hour marathon in May. It is so great to hear that hard work and dedication can really make a difference. Running is now my passion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment