Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ice Bath... really?!

Last weekend I attempted my first ice bath after completing my first 16 mile run. It was recommended that I take ice baths after runs longer than 15 miles, just to help with inflammation and recovery. I really didn't know what to expect, but it was NOT what I expected. :)

After I got home from my run I proceeded to gather some items and head up to the bathroom. I made sure I was wearing some layers on top, had a hat, gloves, magazine and iPhone for boredom, radio and the all important towel for drying. So, I sat down in the already cold but empty tub, turned on the water (cold side only) and sat while the water started to fill. Based on some online suggestions I was not going to add ice to my tap water, being in Michigan its apparently cold enough here that tap water should suffice, at least this time of year... I think they were right!

5 minutes into the tub filling and my feet were starting to change from reddish pink to purple and I found my body beginning to tremble uncontrollably. Then the teeth started chattering and my breathing was getting difficult. Really? I've been in cold water for 5 minutes and its barely halfway up the sides of my thighs... How on earth am I going to make it through the additional 5 minutes to get it over my thighs and then another 10 minutes to actually "take the bath"??

I tried to switch positions a bit, hoping to somehow get my legs covered by the water so I could stop it from filling and just sit there... that wasn't working. I put the hat on in hopes it might warm me up, nothing. I was trembling and chattering so bad that I had to get out of there. I just could not believe that I managed about 7 minutes in a half-full bathtub with just cold water. What the heck was wrong with me?? I honestly did not think it was going to be that difficult to sit in cold water for 10 minutes. It felt like my feet were the coldest and I couldn't figure out how to manage it.

So yeah, 7 minutes and a half-full bathtub and I was out! Standing in my bathroom, half naked and shaking uncontrollably. Wow, what a wimp! I immediately drained the tub and turned the shower on to take a hot shower. Yyyooooowsers! Hot water on freezing feet, not a good idea. I wanted the hot water on my upper body but it was stinging the crap out of my feet so I had to adjust. 10 minutes later I was bundled in sweats and my compression socks with a fresh cup of coffee. Thankfully my most tender muscles (calves) were submerged during the entire 5 minutes so they did get a bit of healing, but my knees were lacking. I proceeded to do the traditional frozen peas for a bit to ensure they got the proper treatment.

This Saturday I've got 18 miles and will again attempt another ice bath... this time I'm going to fill the tub first, then jump in and see how long I can take it. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment