Monday, March 21, 2011

Longest Run Ever!

This past weekend I completed my longest training run ever, 18 miles! This training run was going to be the toughest of my running career thus far, my goal was to complete 6 miles at easy pace, 6 miles at marathon GP and then 6 miles at half marathon GP! The weather was almost perfect, sunny in the mid 40s, the only drawback was a constant wind that was slightly more than noticeable.

I started out strong, really strong and feeling great! I managed the first 6 miles with no problem at all. The second 6 miles were a little tougher, but not out of the question so I was still feeling great. The final 6 were another story, I just could not muster up enough strength to reach my half marathon GP, but I came close! I was within 10-15 seconds for each of the last 6 miles, so I consider that to be pretty successful.

I tried my hand at another ice bath, this one worked better than the first, but I've still got some things to workout in order to make it 100% successful. As long as I keep trying I think I'll get some of the benefits from it.

This week I start a small taper to prepare for my half marathon on April 2nd, I'll be going for a new PR and am VERY excited about it. It's going to be tough, but I think I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment