Friday, April 15, 2011

Intense smells while running... Yuck and yum!

Ok, so it's an odd title, I couldn't really think of something all that witty so that's what I've got.

I've noticed recently with indoor and outdoor running that there are some intense smells I have had to deal with, some good and some bad. The good ones are fine, love it and keeps me going... however the bad ones tend to outweigh the good ones and gets me extremely irritated. I decided to compile a list of the good, the bad and the ugly... ;o)

Indoor Treadmill Running - Good Smells
Nothing - I can't say that I've come across any pleasant smells while running inside on the treadmill.

Indoor Treadmill Running - Bad Smells
Middle-aged man with too much cologne... I'm sorry but a week ago I was trudging along on some speed work and all of a sudden this guy appears next to me and has what I can only assume is the worst smelling cologne ever. I actually think I might have enjoyed it had I not been inhaling it directly into my lungs for 32 minutes. Yes, I watched, it took him 32 minutes to complete his run, that was probably close to the worst 32 minutes I've experienced on a treadmill.
Chick cleaning the mirrors... I mean honestly, there are signs posted in the spinning studio that clearly says, do not spray products during class as the fumes can be inhaled by people while working out and it is not good for your health. HELLO! How is it appropriate to spray the mirrors and wipe them down, 3 feet away from someone who is running on the treadmill. A nasty smell that practically burns when you take a deep breath. I actually had to ask her to stop cleaning because I was inhaling that crap. Then the next week she did it again?! How stupid are people, really.

Outdoor Running - Good Smells
Fresh cut grass!!! Ahh, this is a lovely smell that makes me think of spring and my childhood, I love it.
BBQ grill - Yes, just this week someone was cooking BBQ on their grill outside, I got to run past their house 3 times and it smelled SO good. I would have loved to have crashed into their backyard and grabbed something to go :)

Outdoor Running - Bad Smells
Burning Leaves - This used to be a favorite smell of mine until I inhaled a huge breath directly into my lungs and it burned so bad. I'm forever torn now on this smell. If I'm not running I still enjoy it, but if I'm running I hate it.
Laundry - I experienced this several times during the winter. I'm guessing it was someones dryer, but really, the smell of soap is not pleasant while running.
Car/Lawn Mower/Anything Exhaust - Need I say more? YUCK!

Those are the ones I can recall at the moment and found to be the worst of the worst and the best of the best. I'm sure there are more out there, what have you experienced, good or bad, inside or out?!

No comments:

Post a Comment